CAI Board of Directors
Planning and Evaluation Committee
The CAI Planning and Evaluation Committee has been established to ensure that the Board of Directors is actively involved in defining the strategic direction of CAI and is fully engaged in ensuring accountability in achieving strategic objectives and operating effective programs. The purpose of the committee is to (1) Build Board of Di-rectors understanding of agency programs and community needs; (2) Facilitate Board level decisions regarding strategic planning, resource allocations and agency policies; (3) Ensure agency accountability and; (4) Support staff in maintaining an environment of continuous quality improvement. (5) Support the work of the Executive Director and CAI Staff.
The Planning and Evaluation Committee has been established to serve as an Advisory Committee to the CAI Board of Directors. Membership on the Committee will include at least three (3) CAI Board Members as well as invited community members who have relevant experience and expertise. The Executive Director will participate as a member of the Committee. The Chair of the Committee must be a member of the CAI Board of Directors. A Co-Chair may be appointed at the discretion of the Chair of the Board or by the request of the Committee.
· Guide Board involvement and understanding of the community needs assessment process and ensure that the Board is informed of emerging and changing community needs.
· Lead Board efforts to ensure that a comprehensive update of the CAI Strategic Plan is conducted on a periodic basis (2-5 years).
· Ensure a regular review of progress on strategic plan implementation and report progress to the full Board.
· Review staff recommendations regarding new programs and/or substantial program expansions.
· Review and monitor annual workplans and program outcome objectives.
· Ensure periodic evaluation of agency programs (generally every 3 to 5 years).
· Review program evaluations and validate findings as appropriate to ensure accountability.
· Review program monitoring reports and findings.
Evaluation Practices and Principles
· The purpose of the evaluation process is to provide the Board with data that will enhance Board knowledge and decision-making.
· Committee members acknowledge and respect staff responsibility for program decision-making and will work to ensure that the program evaluation process is supportive of staff not adversarial or supervisory.
· Committee members will work with staff to define and periodically review evaluation for recommendation and approval by the Board of Directors.
· The program evaluation process and tool is designed to support the goal of continual improvement not to provide a point in time assessment. Staff will utilize the standards as a management tool on an ongoing basis.
· Staff will be responsible for conducting program evaluation activities. Information will be provided to committee members by staff that will enable the committee to validate staff findings. Validation strategies will include the review of qualitative and quantitative information. Though quantitative information is generally prefera-bly staff are expected to assess whether the collection of quantitative information is a value-added program activity.
Achievement of “Base Standards” will indicate a program is operating at a “quality” level. The common goal of the Board and Staff will always be, to support agency decision-making and program activity that will lead to Good and Best Practice Standards.
Committee members will provide information to the Board regarding evaluation findings and most importantly, will provide information regarding program and consumer needs.
The purpose of the planning process is to facilitate strong agency decision-making at both Board and management levels of the organization.
The planning process will be most effective if plans are be reviewed on a regular basis and updated periodically.
A variety of stakeholders, including low-income consumers, must be engaged in both the development and evaluation of the plan.
Committee members acknowledge and respect staff responsibility for program development and decision-making and will work to ensure that the planning and review process is supportive of staff.
If you are not already a Community Action Board Member but would like to join our team, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call (608) 755-2470